If you have lost many or all of the teeth in your upper or lower dental arch, our dentists may recommend replacing those teeth with a complete denture. Complete dentures are designed to replace an entire arch of teeth to give you back a natural-looking smile and restore your ability to eat and speak with confidence.
Dentures are a type of removable oral appliance consisting of prosthetic teeth set into an acrylic base and designed to fit your mouth comfortably. Advantages of dentures include:
- A less expensive option for replacing missing teeth
- An aesthetic final result
- A shorter treatment time than other tooth replacement options
There are several types of complete dentures available, including conventional dentures, immediate dentures and overdentures. Our dentists will discuss all your options with you during your initial consultation so that you can choose the type of denture that best meets your needs and restores your oral health and function.
- Conventional Dentures — This type of denture involves removing all the teeth in the upper or lower arch and allowing the mouth to heal prior to creating the denture. Conventional dentures are highly accurate but also leave you without teeth during the healing period.
- Immediate Dentures — Immediate dentures involve removing all the teeth and then placing the dentures immediately after the extraction. This prevents you from being without teeth, but our dentists may need to adjust or reline your denture several times as your mouth heals and your oral tissues change.
- Overdentures — Overdentures use existing teeth or dental implants to support your denture and keep it stable in your mouth. There are a few different types of overdentures, including “snap-on” dentures and dentures that are fully implant supported.
If you have any questions about complete dentures or would like to make an appointment with our dentists, call our office today.